If you are like me and you are living with an autoimmune/chronic illness like lupus the word PAIN becomes a constant in your daily vocabulary.
September is Pain Awareness Month in the United States. The American Chronic Pain Association declared this month to “raise public awareness of issues in the area of pain and pain management.”
What You Can Do – ACPA
There are many things that you can do to help promote Pain Awareness Month.
1) Talk with Friends & Family: Let them know that September is Pain Awareness Month. Encourage your friends to do the same and post it on their social media pages.
2) Talk with your Healthcare Providers : Let them know that September is Pain Awareness Month and ask them also to spread awareness.
3) Call your local media and ask them if they are doing a story on Pain Awareness Month.
4) Call your local government and community leaders to let them know about Pain Awareness Month and issues of pain and pain management.
5) Donate to the ACPA: Your contributions allow them to help fulfill their mission to raise awareness and give support for those with chronic pain.
6) Take care of yourself! Take time out for yourself this month.
Here are some tools I use to help take care of myself with regards to pain management.
* Relax and avoid stress.
* Do some movement 30mins a day (if you can)
* Take your medications
* Try to get quality sleep.
* Avoid process food and minimize alcohol drinking.